Thursday 4 February 2010

Gentle Drive to Kenya - the Vehicle



Dreaming of (or maybe secretly planning) a 'gentle' drive from home in the UK, through Europe, Asia, and some of Africa to home in Kenya, a total of about 6,500 miles.

I have been thinking a lot, talking to lots of people, and reading accounts of others who have done the same trip, one way or the other.


One thing I have found is a suitable vehicle, a 1996 Isuzu Bighorn Irmscher (a grey import Isuzu Trooper). It has a 3.1 litre diesel engine, automatic gearbox, and lots of space. It has done a low mileage and is in excellent condition. More importantly, it is well within budget, leaving me a little to put new tyres on it and give it a good service.

I just hope it doesn't get sold before I can raise the money to buy it.

Update: Being quite old and therefore not all shiny and new-looking, it is less conspicuous to car-jackers, something that I have been told is not only a prolem on the african leg of the trip!

No comments: