Earlier, I wrote that my proposed overland driving trip to Kenya was one of the things I want to do before I die, and I could not think of anything else that falls into this category.
But now I have thought of something else I would really like to do. I would love to see the Rio Carnival.
So, having started, I am going to try to make a list of ten things to go on my bucket list:
- Drive from the UK to Kenya (and back?). Still in the dream stage, but with some planning carried out. But I doubt that I will actually get around to it.
- Visit the Maasai Mara/Serengeti - why have't I already?
- Attend the annual Rhino Charge 4x4 - again, why have't I already?
- Go to Rio for the Carnival
- Visit the Far East. A hike taking in Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, etc. would be good.
- Attend the Notting Hill Carnival - should be easy enough and would be a good substitute for 4 above.
These are, of course my dreams, things I would like to do, but which I am unlikely to achieve.
But that got me thinking about what I would like to achieve. So here we go:
- Design and build a cheap, easy to use, anaerobic digester, and introduce it throughout rural Kenya to give everyone the choice to have clean, free cooking fuel.
- Perfect a system that will cut fuel consumption for vehicles.
- Give Simon the gift of hearing - I have had several hearing aids donated to me for this purpose.
- Offer worthwhile training to Rister so that she will be able to support herself and her family when she leaves school.
- Offer residential care to the Twiga children that want or need it
- Build up a business that is successful enough to support the workers and volunteers at KCIS
- Improve the Twiga vegetable plot so that there is enough food to support all the children, all year round.
- Climb Mount Kenya (and maybe Kilimanjaro and Meru as well).
There are more, but they are still fuzzy ideas that have no real formulation as to how to achieve them. The above are achievable, given the right circumstances.
Then, there are things that are beyond my control, but which I would like to see before I depart this Earth:
- A cheap and effective treatment for HIV/AIDS
- ditto for malaria
- An end of corruption in government - everywhere (this is more of a fantasy, it will never happen).